I don’t know about you all, but Thanksgiving is one of the hardest holidays for me when it comes to keeping my diet in check. Here are a few tips and tricks to help keep you in check to get you in the right mindset for the holiday season.
- Make sure you get a good workout in the day before or the morning of if possible. Make it intense and try a HIIT workout. We will be posting Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday’s WOD on Facebook for those who can’t make it to the gym.
- Don’t skip breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. “Saving calories” for later in the day will let your appetite get the best of you. Try something small like eggs and toast, a bowl of oatmeal, or a smoothie. Whatever you choose, make sure it has protein and fiber.
- Make sure you prepare a colorful spread or offer to bring a veggie dish if going somewhere. Not sure what to make? Pinterest is full of creative ways to put a Thanksgiving spin on most vegetable dishes. One of my favorites is half potatoes half cauliflower mash. Pour some gravy on top (but not too much) and you won’t know the difference!
- There is no need to skip out on your favorite dishes, after all it is the holidays and you want to enjoy yourself. If you’re trying something new, be sure to take just a little so that you don’t feel like you have to finish it if you don’t like it. Watch your portion sizes and make sure those seconds are worth it.
- Stay hydrated throughout day. Water will help you feel satisfied sooner. Try having a big cup of water before making your dinner plate and then have at least another cup with dinner. If you are drinking alcohol, have a glass of water in between each drink.
- Go for a brisk walk after the big meal. It will help you digest and burn some extra calories plus it will get your mind off all the leftovers. The more the merrier so let people know and get a group together!
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!