We've all heard it before: Great abs may be worked in the gym, but they're revealed in the kitchen! Read on for tips from Hybrid's team on how to cut down on bloating and build a flat belly.
Flat Belly Tips
1. Limit alcohol intake. The liver processes alcohol before other carbs and protein. If the liver has to work to burn off excess alcohol it will slow down the fat burning process.
2. Reduce stress. Anxiety produces extra cortisol which is a hormone that causes the body to store fat especially in the stomach area. Try meditating or deep breathing exercises to help calm yourself down and alleviate stress.
3. EAT! Not eating enough food will cause your body to go into “starvation mode”. When this happens your body will store fat for energy rather than burning it.
4. Build muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is and the more calories you burn naturally all day. Resistance and strength training build lean muscle so try to incorporate that into your routine as well as fat burning cardio.
5. Get enough sleep. When your body doesn’t get enough sleep your metabolism slows down.
6. Eat the right foods. There are certain foods that are known to help reduce bloating and to keep you full longer while giving you energy.
These foods help cut down on bloating while keeping you full:
1. Oats- full of fat-blasting fiber. They help stabilize blood sugar levels which will keep the body from releasing too much insulin and storing fat.
2. Blueberries- packed with antioxidants that boost energy levels. They contain fiber and rennin which reduces inflammation in the digestive system and helps reduce bloating and unwanted pounds.
3. Greek Yogurt- Super high in protein and contains live digestive cultures that encourage healthy digestion as well as boosting immunities.
4. Almonds- packed with protein and a filling way to boost your metabolism.
5. Leafy Greens- filled with vitamins and nutrients like vitamin C, calcium, folate, beta carotene and magnesium. This low-cal option is loaded with fiber and helps prevent water retention.
6. Apples- an easily accessible snack that is full of fiber and contains pectin which help the you feel satisfied and full longer.
7. Coconut Oil- a heart healthy fat that has been found to increase the metabolism.
8. Eggs- filled with protein, amino acids and healthy fats that boost metabolism and help keep you full longer.
9. Brown Rice- this complex carb takes a while to digest which will help keep you full.
10. Cucumbers and Celery- low in calories these veggies are natural diuretics which help to flush out excess water weight.
HYBRID FITNESS RECIPE HIGHLIGHT
Overnight Oats with Fresh Berries
- Individual Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- handful of fresh blueberries
Mix yogurt and oats and refrigerate overnight. Stir the yogurt and oats with a drop of water to reach desired thickness in the morning. Add in berries before eating and enjoy! Customize using different flavors of yogurt and fruits.