What, why, and how this type of exercise will make you faster, stronger, and more agile!
What are Plyometrics?
"Plyo" is the greek word for "more" and "Metrics" is the greek word for "length". These are types of exercise that train your body to stretch your muscles longer. Plyometrics are also known as "jump training" and are exercises in which muscles exert maximum force in short intervals of time with the goal of increasing power or speed strength.
How does it work?
Plyometric exercises involve relaxing and contracting muscles in fast sequences. It uses elasticity and strength of tissues and muscles involved in activities such as running faster, jumping higher and throwing farther.
Why should I do Plyometrics?
Here are some of the many benefits of doing Plyometric exercises:
- Strengthening your fast twitch muscle fibers will increase your speed and power output
- Increasing the strength of your tendons will help with injury prevention
- Plyometric exercises train the neuromuscular system to be more efficient, which improves your reflexes
- Causes an increase in muscle strength, muscular power, and force
- Benefits most sports by enhancing running speed, creating harder punches, or enabling farther throwing
- Increases metabolism causing you to burn calories at rest as well as during exercise
- Plyometric exercises increase and build endurance
Check out this video to watch and learn our 5 favorite plyometric exercises!